Thursday, February 20, 2014

Meanwhile, at Robot 6....

I love this image because that T Rex is in the basic pose of the T Rex in the penultimate panel of Ryan North's Dinosaur Comics strips. Among the other reasons there are to love this image, of course. 
Today at Robot 6 I have a review of the trade collection of Dinosaurs Attack!, which collects the IDW re-publication and finishing-up of an aborted Eclipse series based on the 1980s Topps cards about dinosaurs attacking, which is, of course, one of my very most favorite subjects in popular entertainment.

In a perfect world, IDW would follow it up with a 66-issue series, with a single issue devoted to telling the "story" of each of the 55 cards and 11 sticker cards of the original series, featuring the work of some of the greatest dinosaur comics artists of the day.

And, simultaneous to that, they'd do like they did with Mars Attacks!, and publish a series of one-shots—no, mini-series!—where dinosaurs attack their various other licensed properties, so you'd have Dinosaurs Attack Eastman and Laird's Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles! (they'd fight a carnivorous Archelon at the climax, of course; one more in-keeping with that in One Million Years B.C. than the ones that likely existed in the real world), Dinosaurs Attack G.I. Joe (It's happened before! And was awesome!), Dinosaurs Attack The Transformers! (Dinosaurs vs. Dinobots!), Dinosaurs Attack The Ghostbusters! (in which they deal with the supernatural dinosaur devil-god responsible for the invasion), Dinossaurs Attack Mars Attacks! and so on.

I'm not entirely sure which licenses they have active at the moment, but I bet dinosaurs could attack any of them pretty seamlessly. X-Files? Sure. My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic? Hell yes. KISS? Eh, I've never seen the attraction. But I guess I wouldn't mind seeing dinosaurs eat the members of KISS...

Actually, in the most perfect world imaginable, an IDW editor would land in the parking lot of my apartment building astride a living Hatzegopteryx, bearing a huge bag of Scrooge McDuck money and artist Stephen Bissette in its titanic beak, and he'd slike off its back, Fred Flintstone style and be all like, "Caleb, we've decided that you should write these comics for us, so you'll probably have to quit your day job, but don't worry, this bag of golden coins will help you pay your bills in the mean time. Oh, and Stephen here's totally going to draw the main series; you can pick whatever artists you'd like to work with you on all those crossovers. Stephen's moving in to the apartment across the hall from you. Also, you can keep this giant flying reptile; I've got a Quetzalcoatlus coming to pick me up as soon as you sign this contract." And then the mailman would deliver a letter, and it would be a telegram from actress Jessica Lowndes, who played Adrianna on 90210, asking me to marry her and...

Wow, I got a little lost there? What was a I talking about? Oh, Dinosaurs Attack!—it's a comic book about dinosaurs attacking. And what's better than comics and/or stories about dinosaurs attacking people? Nothing, that's what. Well, nothing but 90210's Jessica Lowndes. And maybe riding on giant, flying reptiles. But that's it. It's a short list, really.

2 comments:

Aki Alaraatikka said...

That wouldn`t really be that bad a world. Largely because it would also happen to me (and everyone else who wants it). After all, being a perfect world.

SallyP said...

I like the "Splat!". Who knew that was the sound a dinosaur makes when blowing up?