Thursday, March 17, 2022

Marvel's June previews reviewed

I've got zero interest in the goofily-titled A.X.E.: Eve of Judgement #1—the "E" is for Eternals, and I guess if Neil Gaiman and John Romita Jr. couldn't get me interested in the Eternals, nothing can—but I do appreciate this goofy-looking cover concept of the various teams spying on each other. 


The solicitation for Fortnite X Marvel: Zero War #1 is this month's reminder that I am a middle-aged man now, and likely too old for superhero comics. 


June will see the launch of Captain America: Sentinel of Liberty # 1 by Collin Kelly, Jackson Lanzing and Carmen Carnero. While my new favorite Captain America, Hobo Captain America, appears on the variant cover above, the others all feature Steve Rogers. 

So I guess the plan is to have two Cap titles, Sentinel of Liberty starring Steve Rogers, Symbol of Truth starring Sam Wilson. 

Seems a little ouroboros-ish for Marvel Comics to be chasing the status quos of what the Marvel Cinematic Universe is doing with the characters, given that those current status quos are based on what Marvel Comics had done a few years previously, but hell, I have to assume the minds behind the various Marvel Universes have a better handle on what they're doing than I do.


There's nothing bad about Steve Skroce on a book about The Thing getting in fights called Clobberin' Time


Al Ewing and Javier Rodriquez follow-up their recent Defenders miniseries with another new Defenders miniseries, this one called Defenders Beyond. I...don't like the line-up at all (The character you might not be able to place? That's apparently Galactus' mom, Taaia). I guess I'll need to see how great that last Defenders mini was in trade before I decide if I wanna read this one or not. 

I'm a little surprised to see America Chavez on the covers for this, if only because she was announced as a new member of the new Thunderbolts team just last month.


What was I just saying about it seeming weird that the comics are following the movies that are following the comics from a few years back? Well here's Jane Foster reassuming the role of Thor again, just in time for this summer's movie in which Jane Foster becomes Thor. Jane Foster & The Mighty Thor is a five-issue miniseries though, so this, at least, seems temporary. 


Well that sure looks like a big moment on Gary Frank's cover of Thor #26...



I'm honestly shocked that no one has used the name "The Variants" for a superhero team yet, and I'm honestly not surprised that it was Gail Simone who thought to do so. Simone is teaming with Phil Noto for The Variants, a five-issue mini-series about Jessica Jones...and a case that brings her fact to face with various versions of herself. Hopefully she'll get to meet Krysten Ritter. 


Laura Kinney's outfit on the Hellfire Gala variant cover for Wolverine #22 is her best costume ever. The X-Men should really give up spandex altogether and only go into action wearing their formal wear from now on.

No comments: