Saturday, July 15, 2006

Superman to Hurricane Victims: "Where were your precious X-Men when you needed them?"


Today's link comes courtesy of my mother, who pointed this article out to me. Michael Heaton is a humor columnist and reporter for the Cleveland Plain Dealer , Ohio's greatest daily newspaper that's based in a city that begins with the letter "C." Heaton's sort of like Cleveland's answer to Dave Barry (only less wacky), and was a favorite around my household growing up, as he was one of my mother's and father's favorite writers (Actually, my mum said he's her second favorite writer, after me...Awww!).

Anyway, in his July 7 column he interviewed Superman, who's living in semi-retrement in Boca Raton, Florida. Perhaps with others like him, in the Old Super Heroes Home, , as on the above cover from Action #386? You can read Heaton's piece online here.

Sample exchange:

"What about Hurricane Katrina? Weren't you able to help at all during that?

"I'm strictly a crime fighter. I don't do politics, and I don't do acts of God. Where were your precious X-Men when you needed them? Look in the papers, that's all you read about. That wolf guy with the claws?"

No comments: