Friday, July 11, 2008

Film Review: Hellboy II: The Golden Army

Well it's a weekend, and you know what that means this summer: There must be a big movie based on a comic book coming out.

This particular weekend it's the new Hellboy flick by Guillermo del Toro. You can my read my review of it here at Donewaiting.com. I have a feeling I may come down on the wrong side of majority nerd opinion on this one, having only found it pretty good instead of super-awesome or anything. I would encourage you to do your comics geek duty and go see it though—whatever it's failures as a sustained film narrative, it has some really great bits in it, and is a triumph of creature design.

The franchise needs more non-Red Shirt BPRD agents, though. It's not like the X-Men or whatever, where every new character gets a personality, power, backstory and some sort of character arc. The new guy in this one, for example, can be summed up thusly: "Kind of a tight-ass, despite not actually having an ass." Bam! Done. Okay, now on to Roger the Homunculus and Lobster Johnson.

This is extremely important you see because until they introduce Lobster Johnson in a Hellboy movie (I recommend Bruce Campbell or Billy Zane), we won't get a Lobster Johnson spin-off movie.

3 comments:

Patrick C said...

I can't remember where (it was probably newsarama), but del Toro said he wanted to use Lobster Johnson in this movie but Mignola talked him out of it!

Unknown said...

Caleb, I'm with you: I didn't think it was super-awesome, OMFG great. It was just an enjoyable action/comedy.

malpractice said...

saw it tonight, and loved it! far superior to the original and all other comic book movies so far this summer.