Tuesday, December 29, 2009

Rough drafts for other blog posts count as blog posts, right?

Every Tuesday afternoon I post a column I call 'Twas the Night Before Wednesday... at Blog@Newsarama. That's where I run down some of the good/bad/interesting/easy-to-make-a-bad-joke-about new releases due in comic shops that week. To help distinguish my column from the many other fine columns that do the exact same thing, I usually draw a little colored pencil-on-index card cartoon to kick it off each week.

I had a lot of trouble this week, on account of there only being like one new comic book out. I ended up going with this, but not until after trying a couple of other ones.

Here's the most complete attempt, which I decided against because it's way, way too long (like, three times too long), and I wasn't really happy with how it turned out. Particularly Osborn's hair on the second card...




...and the fact that I couldn't figure out how to convincingly make the white space seem more like a comic book shop. And I screwed up my arm in the first panel. But otherwise...

3 comments:

googum said...

Nice, but the joke should've been Hal and Norman blasting indy comics, yes?

Hdefined said...

Michael Turner would be proud of those backgrounds.

SallyP said...

And a comic book shelf could have fallen and hit Hal in the heaad. Otherwise however...fabulous!