Sunday, August 09, 2015

These are the comic books that I have made.

The Ghost in the Bathroom is an 8.5 x 5.5-inch, black-and-white comic with 24 story pages, and it is an autobiographical comic about childhood fears. I have a short preview of it here.

Mothman Comics is an imaginatively entitled 8.5 x 5.5-inch, black-and-white(-and a little bit of red) comic with 23 story pages. It's a gag comic featuring short pieces extrapolated from real sightings of the title character. One such comic can be seen at the bottom of the post here.

My Pet Halfling is a 10.25 x 6.5, black-and-white, 25-page comic in which a character named Caleb and his roommates bring a halfling home from the pet shop and must then deal with the consequences of doing so. There is a short preview of that here.

Each is sold separately for the price of $3. To purchase any of them, you can send three $1 bills (that's $3, total) or a check or money order for $3 to Caleb Mozzocco, 7950 Mentor Avenue B102, Mentor, Ohio, 44060, along with your address and which book or books you would like, and I'll send you a copy or copies.

3 comments:

Wayne Allen Sallee said...

Caleb: What I will send you, for free, is JUSTICE LEAGUE: Gods & Monsters Superman. It is a shitty and racist comic that baffles the shit out of me. I thought it might have been a tie-in to the current JL storyline involving Metron, but no, and I hope this isn't a wasted unknown world in Multiversity.

And I'll buy Mothman, too, as I love Mothman. The Flatwoods Monster after that one are my favorite legends. Cash & terrible comic in the mail tomorrow.

--Wayne

Caleb said...

For God's sake don't send me that 'Gods and Monsters' comic! I already have it! I read and wrote about it at Robot 6 this week, although I haven't posted a link to it here yet. In retrospect, I kind of wish I would have JUST focused on the film and comics' idea of a Mexican-American Superman, because it's a very interesting (and click-bait-y) idea. I kinda see what I think they might have been going for, but it didn't really work (making that part of Superman's origin in a Superman-gone-wrong story probably wasn't the smartest idea in the world).

I too love The Flatwoods Monster, who I discovered late in life. I thought about doing a comic about him in the same vein as the Mothman one--he appears fun to draw--but there's really the only one appearance by him. At one point I toyed with the idea of a comic in which Mothman, The Flatwoods Monster and The Cornish Owlman all hung out together, but now I can't remember what the premise was going to be, other than the fact that I liked the idea of them all hanging out together...

Wayne Allen Sallee said...

I didn't catch where you mentioned your Robot 6 link, sorry. But I look fwd to your review here. Guess there's something for the recycling bin. And I evidently show my ignorance as I did not know this was based on an animated film. Did you ever buy any of the 2000 Annuals, which were grouped as Planet DC? There were some pretty decent stories there, I remember the Flash (Wally West) one the best. But I wonder how many people, myself an example, bought this book at face value, with no prior knowledge of the film? I'd add a few more comments, but I'll wait for your post.

John Keel was a great self-deprecating writer and I had my copy of THE MOTHMAN PROPHECIES as a 1975 re-release with a Frazetta cover. I was in HS already and while I had already well-read on the subject of UFOs, and it was Keel and Brad Steiger who brought to me the Flatwoods Monster, Mothman, and those goblins in Hopkinsville KY in 1955. You might want to check out a book by Kevin Randle, THE OCTOBER SCENARIO, which chronicled the many, many October 1973 occupant sightings including the famous "robots" in Pascagoula MS that actually made the front page of our Chicago Sun-Times.I was just starting seventh grade, and a bunch of other books came out, some recalling Mothman and the rest, and that was how I learned of Mothman. They might have it at your library.

Maybe a good premise, if you ever decide to do one, would be to have the three take turns imitating one another on a rotating basis.