Saturday, December 18, 2021

DC's March previews reviewed

Doesn't sound like the contents of Action Comics #1041 will have anything at all to do with Julian Totion Tedesco's nostalgia-riffic cover. That's still a nice cover, though. 



Speaking of nostalgia, this Fico Ossio variant cover for Aquaman/Green Arrow—Deep Target #6, featuring the versions of the characters as they appeared when I first read them, really shouldn't make me as excited as it does but, well, I'm excited. 



That's an awful lot of bats on the cover of The Batman & Scooby-Doo Mysteries #12, the last issue in the series...though hopefully that won't be the last we've seen of Batman/Scooby-Doo team-ups for the year, given the fact that, as I've written elsewhere, 2022 is the 50th anniversary of their first team-up, which hopefully calls for a big, splashy, all-star celebration comic of some kind. 


Batman/Faze Clan #1 can be added to the pile of comics that includes RWBY/Justice League and Batman/Fortnite and can be labeled Maybe Caleb Is Too Old and Out of Touch For Comics Now...


Well this is good news. Mark Waid returns to the DC Universe to write the latest Batman/Superman team-up book, World's Finest #1


DC One Million Omnibus?! Oh man...I read the entire series and almost all of the tie-ins and other stories set in the 853rd Century milieu. So I don't really need to drop $100 for a collection of the entire event just so I can read, like, Chase #1,000,000 and The Creeper #1,000,000, right? Right? Please, someone talk me out of pre-ordering this...!

...

Although if DC is publishing 1,000+-page complete collections of various event series, where's my Eclipso: The Darkness Unleashed Omnibus or Bloodlines Omnibus, huh...?

In fact, I'd buy an omnibus of just about any of the annual events, even the ones that were more "thematic" crossovers, like the Year One, Legends of The Dead Earth, Elseworlds, or those great pulp-influenced annuals...


The solicitation for DC Pride 2021 Hardcover says it's 144 pages, but I'm not sure what accounts for all the new pages. The copy mentions "additional short stories", but not which ones, where they're from or who they are by. I'll likely pick this up from the library just to see what extras it contains. If I had to guess, I would guess there are a lot of Batwoman and Midnighter/Apollo stories from various anthologies, maybe some queer content from various Valentines Day type specials, but I literally have no idea...


The solicitation copy for Justice League #74 says this is the end of the Brian Michael Bendis-written Justice League, which seems...abrupt. I'm not sure exactly how many issues he wrote, but the first arc isn't even available in trade yet and his run is already ending...? Seems like more of a fill-in arc than a run, then; I mean, I think there were at least as many issues between the end of Scott Snyder's run and the beginning of Bendis' as there were of Bendi's run proper, but I'd have to count and do math to be sure.

Ah well, now I'm excited to see who will be writing it next. Fingers crossed for a return engagement from either Kurt Busiek or Mark Waid, or someone completely out of left-field, like, I don't know, Ryan North...? Gene Luen Yang...?


Though it looks like a new iteration of the Justice League of Amazons, this is actually one of the several covers for Sensational Wonder Woman Special #1 (I think it's the International Women's Day variant by Maria Laura Sanapo, but that's just a guess). I am of course going to order this because, according to the solicitation copy, it will include the Blue Snowman, and I am a sucker for obscure Golden Age Wonder Woman villains. 



The Swamp Thing #11 will feature two great covers; one from Kyle Hotz, another from Francesco Francavilla, both of whom are ideal Swamp Thing artists. They're just covers, though; Mike Perkins is drawing the interiors of the issue. 


Tails of the Super Pets, a 180-ish page collection of Silver Age comics featuring the various super-pets is the single DC publication I am most looking forward to in March. Hopefully the upcoming movie leads to a flood of collections of super-pet material, including some new, original comics....



Oh snap, there's a Who's Who Omnibus Vol. 2?! I haven't even peeled the cellophane off of my copy of Vol. 1 yet. I'm so intimidated by its size I've been reluctant to even start trying to read it. I guess I better get on it though, as I've gotta read 1,000 pages or so before March...

1 comment:

collectededitions said...

The best time for DC to have released an Eclipso: The Darkness Within Omnibus was shortly before the most recent season of Stargirl. The second best time would be right now or any time thereafter — they can take my money, too! (And for Bloodlines, Armageddon 2001, really any of them, as you said.)