Thursday, April 21, 2022

Marvel's July previews reviewed

Writer Jason Aaron has given so much panel-space to the B.C. Avengers over so many years now I'm not even sure if it's fair to call that element of his Avengers run a sub-plot or just a plot-plot, but they're getting their own spin-off miniseries in Avengers 1,000,000 B.C. #1. Aaron's writing, with artist Kev Walker, whose work I like a lot, drawing. As ever, I hope the what-to-read-in-what-order chart on the inside covers of the Avengers trades tells me when I should read this eventual collection.


I already made fun of the dumb name of the next big crossover story, which begins in earnest with July's A.X.E.: Judgement Day #1, right? I feel like I did. 

I've read almost no X-Men comics since the Krakoa era began, and haven't read an Eternals comic since Neil Gaiman and John Romita Jr. did a miniseries (That's the "X" and the "E" in "A.X.E.", of course), so I'm not sure whether or not I'll be able to make heads or tails of this series. I guess we'll see in about nine months or so, when the trade collection is released...

Marvel finally starts to make some use of the Predator license with July's Predator #1 by Ed Brisson and Kev Walker, and it appears the only connection to the Marvel Universe is one of the variant covers featuring Iron Man's head (above). I suppose readers will have to wait a bit longer for Marvel to produce the comics they expected when we first heard Marvel was acquiring the Predator and Aliens licenses, and imagined Predators stalking various Marvel heroes through the pages of new crossover omics...


I doesn't speak well of the health of writer Gene Luen Yang's Shang-Chi comic that it is already being relaunched with a new title, Shang-Chi and The Ten Rings #1 at least has a title that brings it closer in line to the name of the Shang-Chi film. I suppose it will be curious to see how they introduce the filmic version of the titular rings into the comic, given that the film's rings were an extrapolation of the weapons of Iron Man villain The Mandarin, liked to Shang-Chi's father in the Marvel Cinematic Universe, but not the comics universe, where there are already a set of very different ten rings...

1 comment:

kevhines said...

It’s the second relaunch of Gene’s Shang Chi. Well, maybe it was a limited series into an ongoing? Either way it’s three issue number 1s already.