Sunday, October 24, 2021

Marvel's January previews reviewed

Not only is Dr. Otto Octavius working for Wilson Fisk, he's also dressing like him? That seems to be the case, at least based on Leinil Francis Yu's variant cover for Amazing Spider-Man #85

Peach Momoko's homage variant cover for the same issue is pretty great, isn't it...?  


Ew. I don't really know much about this Ben Reilly version of Spider-Man—I think he's a clone of Peter Parker, right?—but does he secrete a sticky slime from his fingertips? Or shoot webs directly from his fingertips instead of webshooters? Or is that just Alex Maleev taking some sort of artistic license? Whatever it is, the cover of Ben Reilly: Spider-Man #1 strikes me as pretty gross. 


Sigh...



She-Hulk has just been going under the name "Hulk" in the pages of Avengers, one of the last two Marvel series I've managed to keep up with...at least in trade. The other? Runaways by Rainbow Rowell. So who will be doing the honors of returning She-Hulk to her own title, her previous name and, from the appearances of the various covers, her original Savage/Sensational figure...? None other than Rainbow Rowell! 

Rowell's Runaways has been great enough that I'm more than willing to give this a book a chance, although it did remind me that there's no new issue of Runaways solicited for January, nor do I think a new one has been solicited in a while. I take it the book has been cancelled? That's a bummer. It's been consistently well-written, consistently well-drawn, and the last volume I read ended with a few pretty grabby cliffhangers.

Anyway, I'm interested in what Rowell can do with Shulkie, and if or how her new status quo will affect her role on the Avengers or not...


Takeshi Miyazawa returns to Marvel to handle art chores on a new Silk series, which is being written by Emily Kim and features a cover by Inhyuk Lee. That's a lot of Asian names attached to a book starring a hero of Asian descent, and while that's a good thing, let's not forget the name "Akira Yoshida" and how goddam weird it is that C.B. Cebulski is now the Editor-in-Chief of Marvel. 

We should never forget that. 


"Everlovin'" instead of "Everlast." That's a good one, cover for The Thing #3


I like this X Deaths of Wolverine #1 cover by Sam Kieth. It's a "hidden gem" variant, so I think that means it's recycled art from the past rather than a new, original cover, but I still like it. 

No comments: