Sunday, June 14, 2015

Meanwhile...

A few days ago, Comics Alliance launched a new feature called "The Question," which essentially consists of posing a question to various contributors to answer. For the first installment, the question in question was Which comics should DC Comics launch after Convergence?, and five Comics Allies (myself included) offered three suggestions apiece.

What was quite interesting was that four of those five all suggested some variation on a Lois Lane book (my own was The Planet or The Daily Planet, a Gotham Central set in the newsroom of Metropolis' paper of record), and the fifth may have as well, as he noted his choice for an Amanda Waller-starring comic was made in part because we were so Lois Lane-heavy. I think the results speak for themselves: The people (well, we people anyway) really want to read Lois Lane comics.

Hopefully there's enough pro-Lois sentiment in the piece and the comments section that the good folks at DC Comics will start stroking their chins and considering Lois Lane comics. And hopefully what they come up with will be absolutely nothing like the last Lois Lane book they published, which was not a good comic book at all:
I read it and remember not liking it, but on the specifics? I think Lucy Lane and Superman appear in it? And there were too many artists? And it involved illegal experiments of some kind, involving aliens and/or gene-splicing to make people look alien-like? I don't know. The cover clearly shows an alien from Alien and Lois Lane though, implying it was a stealth remake of Alien with Lois Lane in the Sigourney Weaver role and the Daily Planet building in the role of the space ship, but that was not at all what it was about. (Speaking of Lois Lane comics, Kate Beaton Lois Lane comics are the best Lois Lane comics).

I wrote some other stuff for some other places this week, too. For example, I reviewed Andi Watson's charming original graphic novel Princess Decomposia and Count Spatula for Good Comics For Kids (although in retrospect I fear I didn't use the word "delightful" nearly enough times), and I reviewed Rick Geary's excellent Louise Brooks: Detective for Robot 6.

No comments: