Thursday, January 29, 2015

Meanwhile...

Today at Robot 6, I have a review of this week's The Multiversity: Guidebook #1, which I discussed just briefly here last night in order to point out one aspect and one revelation.

Last week on Robot 6, I wrote a bit about Norm Breyfogle—one of my favorite Batman artists, one of my favorite artists period and one of the artists who first got me interested in comics—and the current effort to raise $200,000 to help defray the costs of his stroke treatment. They're still less than halfway there, which I find pretty frustrating, as $200,000 is a lot of money...but it's nothing in terms of Batman money. You can give directly by clicking on the previous link, and, I think it's well worth noting that DC has apparently solicited a rather huge Breyfogle-focused collection.

That's welcome news under any circumstances, as, despite the fact that Breyfogle drew hundreds of pages of Batman comics during his time as the regular artists on Batman and Detective, his work isn't too terribly well-represented in DC's extant trade line, He was working in a period prior to the graphics novel boom, but later than the foundational or formational periods of comics that also see a great deal of collections in our current Golden Age of Collections. So his comics work predates the Everything Gets Collected era of superhero comics, as well as the writing-for-the-trade era. Much of his work that is collected--and hasn't gone out of print--then is a chapter of Knightfall here or there, or something along those lines.

Over at Good Comics For Kids, I've had a pair of reviews in the last two weeks: Ted Naifeh's Princess Ugg Vol. 1 and Super Heroes: My First Dictionary (The latter of which I hope to discuss in much greater detail here in the near future).

2 comments:

bart said...

Breyfogle has also always stated that DC was not too keen on publishing his work in trades due to some argument they had after Breyfogle was thrown off the Bat books...

Anonymous said...

@Bart: that's an ignorant, ungrateful position for them to take. It was largely due to Breyfogle that I read as many bat-books in my teens as I did. If it wasn't for him, Detective wouldn't have even been a presence on the stands!

I guess he stood in the Way Of Change, i.e. Gotham turning into a Tool video.