Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Introducing Tip Goblin!

This house ad for a convention panel showed up in some of last week's Marvel releases—an announcement of which superhero would be joining the Avengers in the form of a word find, with the correct answer to be announced this Friday.

After carefully studying it, I think the most likely candidate is Tip Goblin, which I've circled. Who is Tip Goblin? I don't know. I assume he's a new character of Avengers writer Brian Michael Bendis' invention. Marvel has had lots of Goblin characters in the past, most prominently the Green Goblin and Hobgoblin, so a new Goblin would make sense.

I also found "E-Man," so perhaps Marvel acquired the rights to the old Joe Staton-created Charlton character?

And there were an awful lot of letter combinations lurking in there that sound like they could be the names of obscure old Jack Kirby-drawn monster characters: "Batrom," "Grol," "Woorm," "Egha,""Yzr" and so on. But then, I guess you can find random groups of letters that sound a little like old Jack Kirby-drawn monster characters in any word find.

Okay, actually, the more likely suspects are "Deadpool," "Iceman," "Hulk," "Hellstrom," "Taskmaster" and "Bendis." If you nix Bendis on account of the unlikelihood of Marvel letting him write himself into the Avengers (they've let him get away with a lot over the last ten years, but sure they won't let him create a sueprhero version of himself to join the Avengers), and nix Taskmaster on account of the fact that he's backwards diagonal and backwards diagonal is bullshit and also nix Deadpool on account of the fact that he's going to be on the new X-Force (and Bendis writes a terrible Deadpool anyway), then Iceman, Hulk and Hellstrom seem like the prime candidates.

I'm going to guess Hulk for the sake of media synergy, but I could see either Iceman (Bendis seems to love him, based on his usage of him in Ultimate Spider-Man/Ultimate Comics Spider-Man) or Hellstrom (but only if Bendis continues to follow up on the interminable Sorcerer Supreme/magic shit storyline he's been messing around with for about 34 years now).

8 comments:

Jeremy said...

I'd love to see Bendis write a magic character into the Avengers, just so we can see him repeatedly use the phrase "the magicks" some more.

Randal said...

You severely underestimate the power of the Bendis. If the Bendis wants to write the Bendis into the Avengers, his will be done.

Geldof be praised.

Medraut said...

I doubt Bendis will join the team because he learned from Grant Morrison's experience. If write yourself into a comic, some other writer will just kill you off in the pages of Suicide Squad.

It is a very specific lesson, but one which applies here.

Moriarty said...

Don't forget about Rogue. Her name is hiding in the 7th column all the way at the bottom.

I suppose that's a possibily. But I'm guessing Hulk too. Have to get things in line for the movie, right?

Matthew Craig said...

You saw Kimota in there, though, right?

//\Oo/\\

Caleb said...

Geldof be praised.

When I was first writing this, I had a sentence about Geldof in there, along the lines of "Tips Goblin" isn't any worse a superhero name than Geldof.

Don't forget about Rogue. Her name is hiding in the 7th column all the way at the bottom.

I think I missed a whole bunch of 'em. I certainly didn't see Rogue.

You saw Kimota in there, though, right?

Nuh-uh. I saw "Atomik Yum," which sounded a bit like a teenage Japanese sueprhero, but I guess "Atomik" is "Kimota" spelled backwards.

Medraut said...

So the answer is... Red Hulk?

I guess it makes as much sense as when Bendis brought Sentry over to the Avengers.

Caleb said...

So the answer is... Red Hulk?

Huh. I was sure "Red HulK" was in there to sort of hide the word "Hulk" a bit. It seems like a weird choice in large part because Red Hulk doesn't seem to fit the Big Five formula of the other Avengers, but I'm trade-waiting, so I don't know, maybe Spider-Woman or someone similarly low-profile is already on the team.

I haven't read any Hulk since the reveal either...did they ever explain why Red Hulk doesn't have a mustache? I thought Maestro established that facial hair remains constant between transformations...